Complete the sentences using the nouns . Some of them may need to be in the plural.
Invention , discovery , theory , laboratory , experiment , research .
1. The computer is one of the most important _________ of the late twentieth century .
2. Dr. Hawking has an interesting _______ about how the universe developed .
3. Today*s ________ have a lot of complicated scientific equipment in them .
4. According to recent ________ , most people don*t understand modern science .
5. This_______ with white mice is designed to test their intelligence .
6. Astronomers have announced the ________ of a new planet .
Match a-e to 1-5 make phrases.
1).a mouse a) program
2). to program b) a program
3) to carry out c) a computer
4) a computer d) experiment
5) to run e) button
Complete the text using the phrases
Using computers is really easy. You can ____ to do almost anything. People use them for work and to play games and scientists use them to ____.
A_______ is a set of instructions telling the computer what to do. When you ____, the computer follows the instructions and does what you tell it to, either through the keyboard or by clicking ______. Now that computers are part of our lives, everybody should learn how to use them .
Complete the sentences in each pair with the correct word :
1. discovered / were discovered
a) W.Rontgen ___________ X-rays .
b) X-rays ________ in 1985 .
2 . although / because
a) I would like to be a scientist _________ I am interested in why things happen .
b) I would like to be a scientist , ________ I could probably make more money in finance .
3 . from / to
a) The device is similar _______a big telescope .
b) The device is different _____ the one we had before .
Complete the dialogues with appropriate words :
1. – Hi! Did you have a good weekend ?
- It was OK . I spent five hours surfing the _______ on Saturday .
2. – Excuse me . How do I switch ________ this machine ?
- Just _______the button .
- I have , but nothing has happened . Maybe it is out of ____ .
- Let me see . Yes , it is . Again! It breaks ______ every two or three days .