Proverbs and sayings (quotes) on topics
Books and writers.
1. You can’t tell a book by its cover.
2. Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. J. Bacon.
3. Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. R. Steele.
4. All books are divisible into two classes: the books of the hour and the books of all time. J. Ruskin.
5. Reading doesn’t make a man wise; it only makes him learned. S. Maugham.
6. Reading makes a full man. Bacon.
7. Life without books is like a tree without leaves.
1. When the last tree is cut down and the last fish killed, the last river poisoned, then you will see that you can’t eat money.
2. Look after this planet, it’s the only one we have.
3. The Nation that destroys its soils, destroys itself.
4. The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mahatma Gandhi .
Walk lightly on the Earth
See but don’t be seen
Hear but don’t be heard
What you carry in, carry out.
Take only memories,
Leave only footprints.
Man, Woman ?
- Love is blind.
- Love makes the world go round.
- If you want to understand man, study woman.
- It is better to die standing than to live kneeling.
- The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive. A. Einstein.
- Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. O. Wilde.
- One should never trust a woman who tells her real age. If she tells that, she’ll tell anything. O. Wilde.
- A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. E. Roosevelt.
- Passion will master you, if you do not master your passion.
- The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
- We don’t remember days, we remember moments.
1.Treat others as you want to be treated.
2. False friends are worse than open enemies.
3. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
4. They are rich who have true friends.
5. Old friends and old wine are the best.
6. When a friend asks there is no tomorrow.
7. When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.
8. Actions speak louder than words.
9. Please don’t lie to me, unless you are absolutely sure I’ll never find out the truth.
10. Better be envied than pitied.
11. If it doesn’t matter, get rid of it. If you can’t get rid of it, it matters.
12. Never cut what you can untie.
13. People don’t always need advice. Sometimes all they really need is a hand to hold, an ear to listen, and a heart to understand them.
14. A man is known by the company he keeps.
1. Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 per cent perspiration. T. A. Edison.
2. It is better to understand a little, then to misunderstand a lot. A. Pope.
3. It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Disraeli.
4. Genius must be born, and never can be taught. Dryden.
5. Men learn while they teach. Seneca.
6. Knowledge is a city, to the building of which every human being brought a stone.
7. Behaviour is a mirror in which everyone displays his image. Goethe.
8. Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
9. Idleness is the holiday of fools. P. Chesterfield.
10. The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.
11. What a fool does in the end, the wise does in the beginning.
12. A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
13. Work hard and one day your signature will be called an autograph.
14. A goal without a plan is just a wish.
15. We don’t grow when things are easy; we grow when we face challenges.
16. There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing
And be nothing. Aristotle.
17. Keep going . Each step may get harder, but don’t stop. The view is beautiful at the top.
18. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. T. Roosevelt.
19.The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.
1. Money is a good servant but a bad master.
2. Lend your money and lose your friend.
3. Money has no smell.
4. Money makes the man.
Workers earn it,
Spendthrifts burn it,
Bankers lend it,
Women spend it,
Forgers fake it,
Taxes take it,
Dying leave it,
Heirs receive it,
Thrifty save it,
Misers crave it,
Robbers seize it,
Rich increase it,
Gamblers lose it,
I could use it.
If there is light in the soul
There will be beauty in the person.
If there is beauty in the person
There will be harmony in the house.
If there is harmony in the house
There will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
There will be peace in the world.
What’s wrong with watching TV
It rots the senses in the heat!
It kills imagination dead!
It clogs and clutters up the mind!
It makes the child so dull and blind
He can no longer understand
A fantasy, a fairy land!
His brain becomes as soft as cheese!
His powers of thinking ruts and freeze!
He cannot think – he only sees.
A Madrigal (W. Shakespeare)
Crabbed age and youth
Cannot live together,
Youth is full of pleasure,
Age is full of care;
Youth like summer morn,
Age like winter bare;
Youth is full of sport,
Age’s breath is short;
Youth is hot and bold,
Age is weak and cold;
Youth is wild and age is tame,
Age, I do abhor thee!
Youth, I do adore thee!
Oh, my Love, my love is young.
One flower can wake the dream,
One tree can start a forest,
One bird can herald a spring,
One smile begins a friendship,
One star can guide a ship at sea,
One vote can change a nation,
One sunbeam lights a room,
One candle wipes out darkness,
One step must start each journey,
One hope will raise our spirits,
One touch can show you care,
One voice can speak with wisdom,
One heart can know what’s true,
One life can make the difference,
You see, it’s up to You!
If you love something,
Love it completely, cherish it, say it, but most importantly, show it.
Life is finite and fragile,
And just because something is there one day, it might not be the next.
Never take that for granted. Say what you need to say, then say a little more. Say too much. Show too much. Everything is temporary but love. Love outlives us all.
We’re born in one day
We die in one day
We can change in one day
And we can fall in love in one day.
Anything can happen in just one day.